Re: Hydro head vs solid lifter

"Wm. Josiah Erikson" wrote:

>         I have the opportunity to get a hydro head from a late-model JH
> motor ('91 cabbie, I think) with only $60K on it for a price I can
> definitely swing.

Wow, you're gonna buy a $60,000 cylinder head? You go, boy!

> This would put Claudia (my '84 GTI that I LOVE) back on
> the road, but is it worth it? How much worse are they? They're still big
> valve, no? Is it still legal for FSP?

Valves are the same size if it came from a GTI. I'm not sure in the
Cabriolet's case. Something tells me no, actually. You would no longer have
to perform the periodic adjustments, though. the bad news is that your racing
rpm performance will suffer. If you don't care about revving beyond 6k rpms
then this shouldn't be a concern.

Keep in mind, though, that you'll have to upgrade your oil pump to fill up
those hydraulic lifters. I think that 36mm (from 2.0l) is the preferred
upgrade size. As for class legality you'll have to ask one of those silly
autocrossers. :^)
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut