ABD 28mm rear swaybar install problems

Hey all,

So I decided to install my swaybar that I have sitting around, just in time
for ND. But it would not be so.

I get the (I think) stock one off. No Major Problems.

Go to put on the ABD bar. The problem I'm having is that the bushings on the
bar seem to be too big for the stock sway bar clamps. I managed to get the
lip of one around the rear beam, but when I went to bolt it up, it popped
off. Upon closer inspection, it actually bent the lip so that is is no
longer usable.

Any similar experiences? This was an "upgrade" kit, meaning that it came
with new bushings and "lollipops" but I was to re-use my stock clamps.

I called ABD but the tech guys are out of town until Monday.

My one concern is that the bar on there may not have been stock. I've had
the car 2 years and I highly doubt the PO put *any* aftermarket parts on.
But let me shoot it your way.

I measured the diameter of the bar: 21mm
Shape:
   _______
  /       \
/         \
|           |

Connected to the trailing arms with a bushing held in place by a metal
"strap" that was clamped together by a slip on clamp. Sounds like VW design
to me.

To contrast, the ABD bar looks more like this:
      _________

Anyway, I'll probably have to pay for some brackets that will fit over the
new bushings. Either case, I'll be at ND without a rear swaybar. DOH

Jonas
85 Scirocco 2.0
For direct reply: jonas@metabolex.com
http://www.geocities.com/scirocco2l8v