Re: Tranny rebuilding

>My 'rocco grinds into second, third, and fourth, and sometimes I can't find
>first at all.  I think that problem is shifter adjustment, but I'm sure the
>grinding is sunchros on the way out.

Try adjusting your clutch cable first. This sounds like the cable is too
tight.

>Has anyone here ever rebuilt a VW tranny?

Yes, a few.

What's involved?

special tools and a good memory or metal etcher.

  Is it something
>that I would be well-advised to jump into, or is it such a big deal that I
>absolutely should leave it to the pros?

I would not advise for you to do it yourself unless you have a perfectly
clean environment and a shop at your disposal. Hopefully your shop will be
perfectly clean ;)

  If it helps, I'm a mechanical
>engineer and I have no qualms about dealing with complex mechanical
>systems,
>butI don't have access to lots of fancy tools.

Well, sounds like you have the brain part ;) just need tools now ;)

HTH

Chris DeLong
ICQ#45030867
Seattle, WA USA