Re: Tranny rebuilding

>My 'rocco grinds into second, third, and fourth, and sometimes I can't find
>first at all.  I think that problem is shifter adjustment, but I'm sure the
>grinding is sunchros on the way out.  I haven't yet tried Redline MTL to see
>if that fixes it.

First step is a shifter bushing replacement and alignment.  Next, drain and
fill the transaxle with Redline.  Don't even consider dropping the
tranny and tearing it down until you've done the easy stuff.

>Has anyone here ever rebuilt a VW tranny?  What's involved?  Is it something
>that I would be well-advised to jump into, or is it such a big deal that I
>absolutely should leave it to the pros?

IMHO, leave it to the pros.  Takes special tools and a warped sense of
humor to tear down and reassemble a transaxle properly.

I've pretty much taken my car apart and reassembled it during various
upgrades...and I would not consider taking a transaxle apart.

>TIA!
>Aaron

Good luck!

==Brett