Re: '88 16v rocco,....Boiling over!

Well first of all a stock 16v motor, with no aftermarket oil cooler, fan
switch, or thermostat, will run pretty hot. Especially if the car is not
in perfect tune. It's just a fact that the 16v is a hot running engine.
Second if you open the resevior bottle cap when the car is hot it will
always boil over. Thats why you should wait until the car has cooled down
considerably before even thinking about opening the coolant bottle. Your
lucky you didn't burn the hell out of your hand. There is pressure in the
coolant system so even if you "crack" the coolant lid it will try to boil
out.  Maybe I missed something else but it doesn't sound like you have too
big of a problem outside of some elavted temps. This can be fixed with a
low temp fan switch, thermostat, and bigger oil cooler. I hope this helps
you.

Richard Deede
University Of Delaware (Communications)
1988 Scirocco 2.0 16v