Re: A quick, easy definition of torque?

At 10:33 AM 5/12/2000 , DNK006@aol.com wrote:
>BTW V-8s have more torque at low end because at high end they don't breath
>right, they are able to suck in air at lower rpms better (still not good)...
>ever look at the intake system on a V8, then compare it to a 1.8 JH, the V-8
>takes are through about 5-6 turns before it gets used, the JH manifold is
>almost an intake ram setup, straight to the valves.

Uh, not quite. :)  You probably haven't driven a V8 in a while. :)  I can
pretty much assure you that Ferrari V8s have no problems breathing at
high-rpms.

Like TBerk said, the reason you get more low-end torque with more cylinders
is because of the number of cylinders firing per rotation of the crank.  In
fact, he was wrong. :)  A 4-cylinder will only have *2* power strokes per
rotation of the crank, not 4.  A V8 will have double that, i.e. 4.

Therefore, a 4-cylinder at 4000rpm is making as many power strokes per unit
time (minute, second, whatever), as a V8 at 2000rpm.  Therefore, the V8
will naturally have more torque at the low-end.

Now, you're also neglecting displacement.  If you had 2 2.0 liter engines,
one was a 4-cylinder and one a V8.  Each had exhaust and intake systems
proportional to their breathing requirements.   What would happen
then?  Well, at low rpms, the V8 would be considerably more powerful than
the 4-cylinder.  However, at high rpms, the 4 cylinder's output would come
close to, and maybe even surpass, the output of the V8.  The reason being
that the internal friction of a V8 is considerably more than the
4-cylinder.  Whereas you might get the 4-banger to rev to 6000rpm easily,
the internal friction of the V8 might be so great that it doesn't make any
power above 5000.

Of course, this was an example using a small engine.  If you were comparing
a 5.0l 4-cylinder and a 5.0l 8-cylinder, the 8 would most likely do better
because of the enormous size of the 4-cylinder's pistons (and the resulting
mixture problems, etc).

Back to the point, the reason most (AMERICAN) V8s tend to run out of breath
at high rpm is because they're designed that way -- to have gobs and gobs
of low-end torque.  Drivers of these cars aren't the rev-happy screaming
engine freaks that we are -- they want to squirt off the line and
accelerate like a jet propelled craft.

And if you still think V8s have to have a lot of low-end torque, go drive a
BMW 740i on a used car lot.  In typical BMW fashion, it's tuned for
high-rpm screaming Autobahn assaults... and it's a dog before 4000rpm.

Jason

1987 Scirocco 16v
1989 Mercedes 190E Sport Euro

http://members.aol.com/rocco16v