From: owner-scirocco-l@scirocco.org
[mailto:owner-scirocco-l@scirocco.org]On Behalf Of DNK006@aol.com
Sent: Friday, May 12, 2000 9:37 AM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Re: A quick, easy definition of torque?

Ever see a torque wrench labled ft-lbs, or an ad with ft-lbs?  Well it's
lb-ft!!!!  As far as units go, one ft lb would be one foot aplied to one
pound (that isn't possible!!!)  More properly, one pound can be aplied to
one
foot (i.e. a lever).  Torque is simply  rotational force, like the force on
screwdriver (used properly) or a breacker bar and socket.  Horsepower is a
little more obscure.  HP is a calculated number, which means that it can not
be measured directly (as previous post eluded to).  I am not sure on how it
is derived, but there are different ways to do it.  Remember the muscle
cars?
 they used a different measurement which dramatically overstated the SAE net
HP.  Our 1.8 8vs would have something like 160 HP with the old system...
There is HP at the crank, HP at the wheels, HP calculated by acceleration
(like G-Force meter).  I want to know how many pounds of thrust my car is
equal to, then we could compare Sciroccos to F-16 jet aircraft!!! (60,000
Lbs
v. 300lbs) maybe not

BTW V-8s have more torque at low end because at high end they don't breath
right, they are able to suck in air at lower rpms better (still not good)...
ever look at the intake system on a V8, then compare it to a 1.8 JH, the V-8
takes are through about 5-6 turns before it gets used, the JH manifold is
almost an intake ram setup, straight to the valves.

Ben
84 8v