Re: New Clutch & Pass. Mount

----Original Message Follows----
From: "StephyGee" <stephygee@prodigy.net>

All in all, I'm pleased with the repair job ($29 for all the seals &
pushrod; $170 for the clutch, throwout bearing, and motor mount from Potter;
$250 in labor [my car was in the shop for a day and a half].  I noted the
buzzy sound I used to get in all gears is gone, but I think my mechanic
drained my tranny and put regular tranny fluid in because the shifting feels
lumpy like it did before I switched to synthetic.  I told him to put
synthetic fluid back in there, but I think he must have forgotten.  Either
way, it will give me an opportunity to put the Redline MTL in to see if it
performed as well as the Mobile synthetic I had in there.

I just changed my timing belt & tensioner before I came from New Mexico but
my mechanic said all my belts need to be changed.  I'm not sure, but I think
my tranny seal that was leaking may have aided in the soiling of some of my
belts.  I did note that there was a small leak over in the belt area but I
didn't know where it was coming from.  It would definitely explain why my
power steering has been so hard/slippy lately.  The power steering pump is
good and I had asked him if maybe my belts were bad seeing as they looked a
bit semi-wet.

Steph

I don't think that tranny fluid would easily make its way to the belts.
You've probably got a leak from the valve cover, cam seal, crank seal or oil
pan.  Wet belts will definitely cause you trouble.  Does your alternator
light come on while driving?  I would think that your alternator might not
be putting out enough current if the belt is slipping.

When I change my clutch (hopefully not until next year!), I'm going to have
the gearbox rebuilt.  My second gear synchro is going and changing to
synthetic has helped it, but not cured the problem.  Also I'll make sure I'm
protected from SMS.  :)

Next week I've got to get an exhaust leak fixed (third time's a charm!),
change a wheel bearing and paint my euro bumpers.  Then I'll be ready for
ND!!

Ian Overholt
'88 16v
'78 Champagne Edition