Dunlop/Yokohoma or Mk1/Mk2 was??

Jan
Thanks for the added experience, it helps to know what others have found
out.

It wasn't that the AVS's were more or less sticky, they were just more
predictable and the transitional response was better JME.
I have gone through the same cloverleaf's (when there is no traffic around)
at the same speed with the SP8K as I used to with the AVS's and the car was
much more squirly.
When quick lane changes were attempted (again, when there is no traffic
around) the AVS's stuck while the SP8K's will kick the backend out. All this
was done at the limit of adhesion so under normal driving conditions they
probably both perform about the same.

On the autoX course the SP8K's slide around quite a bit and are undriveable
in the rain (Craig, remember Mather LOL).
I thought I was driving a Camaro in the snow.
I have not driven the AVS's on an autocross track yet but Craig W. ran the
A032R's (in the rain) and said they stuck like glue.
He beat me by about 3 sec. every lap.

Could vehicle weight be a factor?  Mk2 16V - vs - Mk1 8V
I just had the tire shop put AVS's on my mom's new Dodge Intrepid which is
much heavier than any Scirocco and has a stock soft suspension.
I took her car for a spin about a week later and was very dissapointed in
how they performed (very little grip at all).

Could suspension setup play a part as well?
My Mk1's both had/have race springs (ST, Neuspeed), Bilsteins, all bars
except front sway and 55 and 60 series tires.
What suspension setup were/are you running? What size tire/wheel combo?

Don't get me wrong though, the SP8K is a very good tire and I will drive
them till they're bald, but I did like the AVS's better with my setup and
driving style.

Sorry, enough rambling.
Anyone with other experince want to help out here?

Randy B
81 Cosmos Scirocco S - 2.0 16V project
81 Mars Scirocco S - tt 1847cc 8V
87 gold Scirocco 16V - parts for Cosmos project

Jan Folkson wrote:
> I fee exactly the opposite.  I had AVS's on my roc for years got tired of
> them and switched to the SP8K's and I feel that they're much stickier.
I'll

Scirokn81 wrote:
> > A better tire IME is the Yokohama AVS Intermediate.
> > These are my tires of choice (for the street) and will probably go back
on
> > my car when the SP8000's wear out unless $$ comes down on the A032R's.
8)