Re: Dunlop/Yokohoma or Mk1/Mk2 was??

scirokn81 wrote:

> It wasn't that the AVS's were more or less sticky, they were just more
> predictable and the transitional response was better JME.

Interesting. I've always felt that the SP8K has more predictable handling
characteristics at the limit. Then again, I'm used to the 195/55/14 size. The
slightly taller sidewalls than the typical 195/50/15 will definitely make the
breakaway more progressive.

> When quick lane changes were attempted (again, when there is no traffic
> around) the AVS's stuck while the SP8K's will kick the backend out. All this
> was done at the limit of adhesion so under normal driving conditions they
> probably both perform about the same.

I find that the Dunlops require a smoother driving style than the AVS. Maybe
that's a factor, too. I'm with ya on the transitional response, though. The AVS
is a tad bit sharper in response.

> On the autoX course the SP8K's slide around quite a bit and are undriveable
> in the rain I thought I was driving a Camaro in the snow.

Okay, now I'm definitely perplexed. The SP8k are some of the sweetest tires I've
ever driven in even torrential downpours! Their resistance to aquaplaning is
outstanding. Snow is another story entirely...
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut

Check out our rally team's website!