pressure senders

Hey everyone.

Sorry to bring this up again, but I just bought
a VDO pressure sender for a gauge that I *pulled*
from and Audi 5000 and it's not working right. I
screwed it into the side of the head (8v) and just
tried to see if I could get it to work, but the gauge
wasn't doing anything.

When I gave it power and ground, it twitched and
moved barley a 1/4 inch up the scale and stayed there.
I would give the engine juice and it wouldn't do a
thing. What is a bit confusing is that the pressure
sender that I got has one plug at the top. Would that
make a difference?

Could the gauge be cooked?

Thanks

=====