overheating?

just wondering what would make my '79 over heat as fast as it is, i can
drive a mile or so then the temp gauge shhots up way over normal, me and
nathan just went through some of the wiring problems and some how we  forgot
the radiator fan, so it doesnt work but even with out that it still shouldnt
heat up that fast..
so then i thought maybe the water pump, but it was pumping water through
both upper and lower hoses, but what else could it be, i have heard it could
be the thermostat and then i have heard that it wouldnt be that, so i bought
one anyway, havent put it in yet but that would be the most logical right?
or what other things should i look for?
chris