Re: Now a friend with BIG 16V problems

Well, as it turns out, the second exploding rotor lodged a piece of plastic
in the distributor which kept the hall sender from working.  I did glue the
rotors on.  The cause of the Incredible Exploding Rotor Trick, was actually
a bad motor mount.  As I said before, this car was converted from an 8V to a
16V by the previous owner.  It was a pretty bad hack job, and the car was
completely stripped except for the motor when my friend got it.  Anyway, the
bad motor mounts cause the motor to rock back far enough that the
distributor was hitting a heater core hose that was too long.  When ever the
car was revved past 6000 rpm, the  dist. hit the hose and pushed the cap
into the rotor.

An interesting problem that probably never would've happened on a
non-converted car.

Ben R
Membership Coordinator
<http://www.volksport.com>
Volksport GTI and Watercool Volkswagen Club
"We support your VW Performance Addiction."