Re: Update on No Start

Did you take your distributor apart?  If you did, you may have put the
drive washer thing on 180' wrong.  if this is the case, you will still
have spark, just at the wrong time.  If you never took your
distributor apart, don't mess with this.

(you have a 16V, right?)

The rotor needs to be pointing at the #1 cylinder mark when the #1
piston is all the way to the top of it's stroke, and both #1 cylinder
valves are closed (pointy part of cams sticking up).  You can shine a
light through the oil filler hole to see where the cams are pointing
to check this. There are also marks on the cam pullies for doing these
kinds of things.  The #1 cyl is farthest from the trans. by the way.

It's my opinion, that there isn't enough range of adjustment on a 16V
to be so far out of time that the engine woulden't at least try to
start.

Another case is that you have a weak spark.  Do you remember what
color the spark was?  Blue = run yellow/orange = not run.

Hope this helps ,

Dan Brideau
http://www.hobbyetc.com/scirocco/