16v conversion HELL.

Ok, so Daun, Ben Harder, Nigel, and Paul Maione were here this
weekend, and I really, really wanted to get my '81 Rabbit 16v
Convertible to start.

I've run into a problem:  I can't fit a 90a 16v A/C alternator into
my car, which has no A/C.

I told Potterman what I had when I ordered parts, so I got a non-A/C
rad and non-A/C crank and water pump pulleys.

The water pump pulley is too deeply dished, but Brett had a bunch of
old pulleys from various cars, so I found one that I could shim out
to align with the crank.

But I physically cannot fit the alternator into the space between the
bracket and the radiator.  It hits the rad, plus the non-A/C rad hose
passes right thru the same space.

I am using the big bracket that came off the donor 16v that holds the
alt, A/C, and P/S pump.

So what have other people done?  Those of you that have seen/done
Rabbit 16v conversions?

As I see it, I have four choices so far:

1) Use an 8v alternator.  The old 65a originally from my Rabbit
Convertible fits into the space on the engine where the bracket fits;
I'd just need to then fabricate a tensioner bracket.

Can you get 90a alternators in that form factor?

2) Find the fabled "16v non-A/C" bracket.

Anyone have one that could send pix of it, along with dimensions?
I'm curious how it works.

3) Fabricate a bracket for the 90a alternator.  I'm thinking an
asymmetric "H" shaped bracket that fits inside the ears on the block
on one side and then flares out to fit around the ears on the
alternator on the other, and that doesn't stand out as far from the
block as the big honkin' bracket:

            |     block      |
            |                |
            +----------------+
            ||   ||
             |   |
            +-----+
            |+---+|
             |alt|
             +---+

4) Get an A/C radiator and use that.  I mis-ordered the upper hose
for an A/C rad, so I have that, but I am concerned that it will still
have problems with physically fitting the alt between the engine and
the rad.  I'm also concerned that the upper hose, while designed to
turn 180 degress  out of the rad and travel across the top of the rad
before going back to the block will interfere with the hood closing.

Help!  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

| Jim Jarrett                      http://www2.rpa.net/~jarrett |
| mailto:jarrett@rpa.net                                        |