Re: My scirroco (1985 8v)

For Solo racing, the 13" wheels will be better.  You don't get to high
enough speeds that you max out top gear.  Go with 13x7's (or wider) with
225/45-13's.  For autocross, you want wide tires with a smaller rolling
circumference to help the acceleration.  15's are good for the street, but
you want less weight for racing.  Depending on your suspension, the
225/50-15's will rub too.  They are going to be too tall.  195/50 is the
largest 15" size that fits without trouble.  I am running 205/50-15's and I
am getting rubbing on the splash guards since I lowered my car.  I didn't
have any rubbing before lowering it.

I suppose shaving the head might get you 10 horsepower.  Anyone have a
better guess?  If you built your engine to maximum rebuild dimensions, you
end up with 130 hp.

Ian Overholt
'88 16v
'78 Champagne Edition