Re: muffler for a 16v

On Tue, 2 May 2000 22:10:06 -0700 (PDT) archive@porknet.fdns.net writes:
> Okay folks,
>
> I've been poking around for quite a few weeks now trying to figure
> out what to do about my rotted out muffler and so finally I've decided
> to post to the list for advice.
>
> My stock 16v exhaust has a stock muffler that has bit the dust. I'd
> like to replace it with something that is -quiet-, with a low bassy
tone,
> and flows as well or better than stock. I do not desire to replace my
> whole exhaust system, because thats expensive compared to $50 or so for
> muffler.
>
> I've been looking at a cheap oval-shaped dynomax super turbo, since
> they're like $34 from jegs.com. Stainless would be nice, I suppose,
> but I can't justify spending the money when I might want to replace my
> exhaust later...
>
> So... I know this has been gone over before, but what is the
> diameter of the 16v stock exhaust?
2 1/8" or 2.125"...

> I got a pair of calipers and measured in
> several places, all of them were 2.125". Does this mean a 2.25" muffler

> won't fit.
No...

> Could the 2.125" stock pipe go inside the 2.25" muffler pipe and be
> clamped on?
No...

>What is the size I should be shopping for?
2 1/4", because 2 1/8" mufflers are almost impossible to find.

You can either use an adapter, or a short piece of 2 1/4" ID, since the
ID will be 2 1/8".

The easiest way to hang it is to buy Techtonics' clamp hangers...

> Anyway, any help would be appreciated. Part numbers and exact
> dimensions would be the biggest help.
An '87 16V Scirocco, that I dismantled had a Walker/Dynomax Super Turbo
muffler, part no. 17747.
They have a lifetime warranty, so now I have a brand new in the box 17747
muffler, that I would sell for $40 delivered.

Btw, the Super Turbos sound good on 16V's, as long as you still have a
cat...

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'84 Scirocco 2.0L
'83 GTI
'80 Scirocco, '88 Scirocco 16V, '86 GLi for parts