RE: muffler for a 16v

I think you've found the tricks that make it difficult. The stock exhaust is
a metric diameter (something like 50mm...I don't remember) that comes out to
2.125". It's difficult to find something that will just bolt right on.
Supposedly, Eurosport make something, but I've gotten confusing messages
from my local tuner about that, and whatever it is, it was on back order a
month ago. You might check into it.

Just over a year ago, I replaced the stock muffler with another stock
muffler. I like the sound, but for some reason, the thing got a hole in it
after only a year (NO winter driving, either). It also cost $170 just for
the muffler!

This time, I ended up taking the "redneck muffler shop" approach. I got a
2.25" Dynomax UltraFlo welded to my stock tubing. The guy did a pretty
decent job making it fit. He put a good clean bead around the pipe to fill
the slight gap. I had them weld a simple single angled tip to the muffler at
an angle to match the rear skirt cut-out. It turned out pretty damn good, I
think. Total cost was somewhere less than $150. Oh, and they of course had
to weld hangers on to the muffler, too.

I don't particularly care for the sound of the UltraFlo. It sounds nice at
idle, but it is fairly loud and does get a little "blatty" at high RPM. My
understanding is that this is due to the straight-thru design, and that the
SuperTurbo might be a better choice, since it has s-curves inside the
muffler. The plus side is that the UltraFlo did seem to actually improve the
power a little.

I'm sorry to say that unless someone has any better ideas, or the Eurosport
thing is for real, you'll have to either go with a whole system or have
someone weld a 2.25" muffler in place...

Neal
88 16v