Re: Rims and rubber

Shawn,
The wheels I run are Revolution RFX Race wheels. They can be found at:
http://www.ttrsracing.com/
If you like Panasports, check out:
http://www.kspeed.com/proad.htm
Other websites for racing wheels are:
http://www.usacomp.com/index.html
http://www.diamondracingwheels.com/
http://www.keizerwheels.com/prices.htm
http://www.litespeedinc.com/
This is just the info I have been able to dig up so far, there are probably
many others.

Randy B
81 Cosmos Scirocco S - 2.0 16V project
81 Mars Scirocco S - tt 1847cc 8V (illegal FSP this year)
87 gold Scirocco 16V - parts for Cosmos project

> Also where did you get those 14x7 rims?
>

> scirokn81 wrote:
>
> > Shawn,
> > This is how I see it:
> > 225/50/15's on a Mk2 are a problem for both the street and the track.
> >
> > 1. For the street:
> >
> > Poor acceleration due to larger diameter.
> > Speedo will be off quiet a bit.
> > These tires will weigh a bit more than the 195's (yes, tires can weigh
as
> > much or more than the rims, D'oh!)
> > Tire will rub on fenders unless you have some mighty stiff springs and
don't
> > drive over any bumps in the road.
> > I wouldn't go any larger than 205/50/15 and would recommend the
195/50/15.
> > If you race and can afford two sets of wheels then read on.
> >
> > 2. For autocrossing (I believe you mentioned this earlier)
> >
> > Poor acceleration due to larger diameter.
> > Tach may never see redline and get used to the engine bogging in the
> > corners.
> > Again tire will rub on fenders.....
> > Very heavy wheel/tire combination.
> > I would recommend as small diameter and wide a tire as you can
get/afford.
> > Most serious autocrossers use wheel sizes like 13x8 with tires sizes
like
> > 225/45/13 (race tires)
> > (I don't autocross that seriously and don't use this size, Shawn can you
> > help me out here)
> > Since you don't have a 16V, you should have the 9.4's and can run this
> > setup.
> >
> > The very much amatuer setup I run is 195/55/14's on 14X7 rims. I use
these
> > for both the street and the autocross track.
> > The 195/55/14 is actually a smaller diameter than both the stock
175/70/13
> > for my Mk1 and the stock 185/60/14 on most Mk2's.
> > I bog in the corners but it is a nice compromise for street/track use.
> >
> > If you have Excel on your computer, check out the attachement and you
can
> > punch in tire sizes to calculate things like diameter, width, etc.....
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> > Just remember, "Bigger is not always better"
> >
> > Randy B
> > 81 Cosmos Scirocco S - 2.0 16V project
> > 81 Mars Scirocco S - tt 1847cc 8V (illegal FSP this year)
> > 87 gold Scirocco 16V - parts for Cosmos project

(application/vnd.ms-excel)