compression/cam

I have been told that when installing a wild
racing cam, you need high compression to match.  I
have no argument against this, but I wonder if it
is a absolute necessity and why.  I understand the
benefits and results of high compression and
aggressive cams, and I understand how they would
complement each other, but I don't understand why
it is absolutely necessary. I don't like not
knowing the technical aspects so if someone can
shed some light on this I would appreciate it.

Nathan