Re: Pothole Damage!

Hey there,
         I had a similar experience with a 6" deep ditch that cracked the
windshield on my Roc, blew out the front shocks, and bent the front
wheels.  I'm in PA.

         I looked in the Blue Pages and got the number for PennDOT (in your
case, this would be whatever authority deals with MD Road
Maintenance).  They sent me a form asking for all kinds of pictures,
receipts, estimates, etc.  They wound up coming to inspect the car and gave
me 1/2 of the price of the estimates (which, of course, were enormously
expensive), and I wound up faring OK...  but it took like 3 months.

         My one piece of advice is that you be extremely consistent with
what you tell them-- they almost threw my case out because I had said at
one point that I thought the windshield may have cracked because the mirror
slammed down and smacked it.  That wasn't the case, of course, and later on
(in the written statement) I explained that the force of the impact cracked
the glass--- but they assumed I was lying because of what I had said
before.  After a fight with them, they just ignored the glass damage (which
State Farm picked up), but at least covered the rest of it.

         A friend of mine had a similar experience with a Pothole in Ohio,
and they were much more helpful to him..

Good luck,
Jason

At 12:12 AM 4/29/2000 , Gary A. Huff wrote:
>List,
>         Does anyone have experience in dealing with state highway
>adminstrations over damage caused by roads? I am in Maryland BTW......
>Yesterday I hit a pothole that was about 1ft deep and unavoidable on the
>rt2 onramp for 695 here in baltimore. My passenger side fittipaldi is
>bent so bad that you can see the bend from 5 ft or so away, the
>passenger side of the car sits about 1/2 - 1" lower than it should, and
>the alignment is way off. The car is also near impossible to drive at
>60mph since it shakes way too bad. I really would like to press on the
>state to fix this since, this is obviously major damage to my car. If
>anyone has experience making "the man" pay for his damage please  speak
>up. Thanks,
>
>--
>Gary A. Huff scirocco86@home.com
>86.5 16v Scirocco "Red Rocket" (120k miles)
>80 Gas Rabbit Pickup; grazing the driveway. (Needs strut tower welding
>and
>title, 50k original miles)

1987 Scirocco 16v
1989 Mercedes 190E Sport Euro