Re: vacuum leak questions

Alex wrote:
> What are the best methods to locate vacuum leaks in a
> regular CIS system?
> Is 22-24" of vacuum at idle too much and would it cause
> running problems like low end hesitation?
> And, I know this is a sorta general question, but what else would
> cause a low end hesitation, and then disappear when boost (turbo car)
> kicks in around 3K?

Alex,
I've heard that if you spray Carb Cleaner near where the intake plenum bolts
to the head and the idle goes up that you have a vacuum leak there (told to
me by a reputable mechanic). This might work on vacuum lines as well. This
is only hearsay, never tried it.
Anyone else out there heard of this before?
Common sense tells me to keep this spray away from the exhaust manifold
unless you have a real good fire extinguisher handy, DOH !
HTH.

Randy B
81 Cosmos Scirocco S - future project
81 Mars Scirocco S - tt 1847cc 8V
87 gold Scirocco 16V - parts for Cosmos project.