RE: Heated Seats-home made by me!

Hey Toby,

re: the corrado heated seats...sounds a bit spendy...especially if they
won't match your interior due to the red stripes...also though they fit in a
rocco, my experience with corrado seats is that they are almost impossible
to adjust forward and backward (they do it but juuuust barely) and you end
up with an extra seatbelt fixture hanging on each seat....

My method, isn't the best in the world, but did end up working pretty durned
cool.  I think I spent...oh...just about 90 bucks to do both front
seats...here's what I did.

I bought a power invertor from a local parts store...the small one that
allows you to plug into the cigarette lighter or just hardwire it in...  I
think that cost me about 45 bucks... look at the wattages it powers...it'll
be handy to know.

Next I went to a drugstore and bought 4 of those heating pads for sore
muscles or old people... I got the cheapest ones I could that had 3 way
adjustable heat. These plug into a normal wall socket  (about 10-12 bucks a
peice)...

I hardwired the invertor in and placed it in the back next to my sub box
(but under the front seat would work fine) and next got a pretty thin but
long extension cord with more than one outlet on it.

There are two ways to put the heating pads in the seats...if you have the
16v normal seats (with the cloth inserts) the quick way is to just slide
them in underneath the foam inserts...this however takes a bit longer for
the seats to heat up.  The other way, is to take the seats out, and pull the
cloth off of the foam and insert the pads just underneath the cloth...much
quicker heat up(i actually carved out some of the foam to make it
perfect)...

Once all of the pads are installed and you've run the extension cord from
the invertor to under the drivers seat, I used a multiplug adapter and
plugged them all in (then taped the hell out of everything).   All thats
left is to hard wire the invertor into the car (I used the ignition switch
so that I couldn't accidently leave the seats on when I was away from the
car) and I also wired in a relay and a switch which I mounted to the left of
the steeringwheel in the dash.

Thats about it... depending on which heating pads you get, you may want to
take of the hard plastic case around the heat chooser (I just set the pads
to medium heat and taped up the box...and wire tied the whole thing
underneath each seat out of the way).

Letme know if I forgot anything..it sounds long winded but I think I did the
whole process in about 3 hours.  Again, not quite as good as factory heated
seats (mainly cause doing it this way doesn't let you adjust the heat level)
but cool as hell in the winter!

good luck,

Jared Erlandson
Seattle