Damn Idle.... Both cars even!!!!

Any pre advice greatly appreciated.   I'm about to jump into idle problems
galore.  The 16V idles fine until its warmed up & then it moves up to an
indicated 1800-2000.  The AC swicth isn't activated.  The O2 sensor is a year
old. I have replaced vacuum lines & connections and don't know of any leaks
now. One thing peculiar is that my gas mileage is down to 28 or 27 even with
some highway driving.  I remember the days of 33 and 34 as constants.   I
have no idea where to start.
The 79 mk1 idles fine until its warmed up & then it begins to drop to 500 or
so just until it is going to stall & then it lopes back up only to drop
again.  Otherwise, its running perfect so far.  I haven't had enough
experience with this car yet to know its tweaks.  Ugh... Where did all those
Bentley manuals go?

Dan May - Greensboro NC
8716VScirocco
'79Scirocco