Re: HELP, 8v and 16v wiring

Ryan Schuermann wrote:

> car: 1981 Scirocco
> engine: 90 G60.
>
> first for the 16v crowd....
> ok on the 3 wire bosch oxy sensor, 1 black/2 white, i know
> one is signal and the other 2 are +/- warmup wires, which
> is which?? i need to connect these 3 wires up to my corrado
> G60 3 wire harness. i orig bough the oxy sensor for my 16v but
> its the same one right?

There is no + or -, one is the other side of the other, in other
words the heating element is non directional, just hook them both
up, one to 12v and the other to ground. (Along the normal path,
of which I know not of spec to 16Vs).

> now for the 8v crowd... <snip>
> also the little blue wire on the starter, on my 16v it connects
> to another blue wire that dissapears into a loom, but on my 81
> i have a big connector with the blue wire, so should i take
> the stock 81 alternator plug, cut it off, connect the blue wire
> to the alternator blue wire and then do i have to conenct the
> red wires to anything? (ie does the car need that plug to have
> juice) even tho i connected the alternator to the battery via
> the 16v style wire? this is getting all confusing. am i
> explaining it right? basically im using a newer style alternator
> and i thought just leaving the old style plug dangle while
> running a 16v style wire from alt to starter would work.
>
> Ryan

You need to be sure the blue wire is really the same Alt exciter
wire that you think it is, if so then YES it goes to the small
blade connector on the Alt (Blue = D+). The (2) red wires go to
the 12v (B+)output of the Alt, you may have an Alt that has
another small blade connector but don't think you need anything
there.

hth,
TBerk