Re: rack boot

On Sun, 26 Mar 2000 12:26:06 -0600 "Mr. Eddy" <eperson@students.uiuc.edu>
writes:
> well my front end is now torn apart for new bearings and i found that
> the pass. side steering rack boot is cut.  Anybody that has replaced
> theirs, is it a very hard job?  Do i need to remove the tie rod end or
will the
> boot fit over?  Anything else that i need to watch out for?  I'm hoping

> its an easy job, i need to get the car back on the road.
> thanks
>
> Eric Person
> 86.5 16v

It won't fit over, but it is still an easy job.
I leave the outer tie rod attached to the hub carrier, unless I'm
replacing it.
Separate the outer tie rod from the inner rod, and mark where it should
go back, and then replace the boot and bolt up the tie rods in the same
position.

Btw, an alignment is a good idea after having the tie rods apart.
Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'84 Scirocco 2.0L
'83 GTI
'80 Scirocco, '88 Scirocco 16V, '86 GLi for parts