Re: I hoped it wouldn't happen to me,(control arm bolt mishap)

Ben, and to who ever else had this happen to them just recently....

I did the same damn thing a few weeks ago on my 81 S that I am restoring.
Well, I did some exploring yesterday and I have good news for you guys!
Mine was on the drivers side, so I pulled up the carpet and started poking
around to see if I could get to the top side of that stud.  The good news
is you can (at least on my Mk1).  Behind the pedals is a piece of sheet
metal tack welded in place.  It is coated with a hard plastic.  There are
access holes in the metal behind the coating to get to the tops of these
studs!!!! WOO HOO!.  So with minimal cutting and some creative drilling
you can get the whole thing out, drop a new bolt in from the top and weld
it down!  I am pretty happy it turned out to be this easy to find these
things!  So, if you have access to someone with a MIG welder, it should be
an hour or so job to replace a stud!  I haven't started the repair yet.  I
can't tell if the stud was welded or pressed in place.  So I am still
trying to decide whether or not to drill the stud through or to try and
cut the top of the stud off.

Eric

80 Rocco (Daily Driver)(!!!FOR SALE!!!)
81 Rocco S (2.0 16v swap and restore in progress)
00 Golf GL TDI (Shiny and new, will make a good winter beater :-) )

-Kelli Fox