"KR" vs "PL" 16v - was : Re: convertible again...

> >102kW printed there, thats 139PS and therefore the KR-engine ! ! !
> >( the seller was wrong - he told me it has a 129PS PL motor )
>
> I didn't know the European version had a different code.  I always assumed
> it was just a PL with a different intake cam and no cat.  Are the blocks and
> heads the same?
>
> Jeremy Sawyer
> '86 16v
> '84 Quantum GL5

Hello,

both motor versions were available here in Europe,
later the KR was completely replaced with the PL.
( due to problems with KR and using catalytic converters )
the KR engine here had 139PS thats 102 kW ( 102.000 W )
the PL engine here had 129PS thats 95 kW ( 95.000 W )
the torque was 168 Nm on both of them
but the PL had max torque at 4250RPM and the
KR had max torque at 4600RPM.
engine geometry ( bore, stroke ) is the same
but timing of the intake valves is different.
PL opens 1 degree after OT and closes 21 degrees after UT
KR opens 3 degrees after OT and closes 35 degrees after UT
so it might be better to get the KR-intake camshaft

in addition, most of the KR engines here were equipped
with the 50mm intake manifold.

Greets
Dirk