RE: Re: 4K or AGB?

Ben Rogowski wrote:

>The problem with the 4K I have is that the flanges won't tun by
>hand with the tranny out of the car.  What would cause this, and is it
>repairable.

I would go with the 4k. I don't know much about tranny problems. (if you
find out the cause, let me know, I have a 9A that also won't turn by
hand. That one had all it's lube leak out) The 3.89 R&P of the 4k vs
3.67 of the AGB will make a big difference. Would the R&P from a 8v
tranny fit into a 16v tranny? i.e. are the pinion shafts for the 4k and
AGB the same size? That would be nice, but expensive.

If cost is an issue, then I'd take your mechanic up on his offer. Just
make sure you have something in writing, and find out what he is
including in a "rebuild". The 4k is a very nice tranny, and with a 16v
pressure plate, it should hold all the power of that 1.8 just fine.

just IMHO

Jonas
85 Scirocco 2.0