Re: Mileage

Many moons ago, back in 1990 when we experienced a similar jump in gas
prices, I was bored and filled my tank with different brands of gas when it
ran out.  I ensured my car was in a high state of tune (new plugs, new
wires, distributor cap, rotor, fuel filter, oil and filter change, air
filter, fresh battery, and a CO2 adjustment <just transferred in from Knob
Noster Missouri (Whiteman AFB) to Team Vandenberg in Lompoc>)  before I
undertook this experiment.

Depending on the gas (I always used the 90 grade in CA, but I had used 94
grade in Missouri) brand, I either gained or lost a few miles per gallon.  I
also engaged in spirited driving through the back twisty road to Santa Maria
and once in a blue moon, I ventured to Atascadero, Pismo Beach or San Luis
Obispo.  I definitely got more mpg when I was on the highway, but I noticed
when I mixed highway, stop and go (when I went into town or cruised around
base), or what I called hyper runs (short 10 mile jaunt down the hill to
Lompoc), my gas usage was erratic and I seemed to lose gas quicker.

What does this all mean?  Fuel consumption depends on your driving
habits/environment (do you gun the motor often/drive at a high speed all the
time, stop and go, highway, or a mix of either), what state of tune your car
is in, and what brand/grade of gas you use.  All fuels are not made alike,
I'm here to tell you.

The winner of my contest back then was Chevron.  Mobil didn't do well, the
Quickie Mart type gas fared much better than the Mobil,  and *gasp* Arco
SUCKED (and I still regret putting that garbage in my car.  Cost me a new
fuel filter =/).  Shell was "okay."  The car seemed to drink it like it was
water and I ran out of gas quicker with Shell.  Dunno why.

Well, that's my buck fitty on the matter.

Steph