Re: Weird thing in the passenger side wheel well . .?

It's part of the evaporative emissions control - it stores gas vapour
vented from the fuel tank and routes it to the intake manifold via a small
vacuum controlled valve located near the throttle body boot.

Removing the cannister would result in gas vapour escaping from your fuel
tank into the atmosphere - causing pollution (and a gas smell on hot
days.. ;) )  If it and the subsequent plumbing are removed, your car could
fail a visual pollution control inspection in some states (if the
inspection is thorough enough.)

Personally, I'd leave it there...

Drew

On Thu, 16 Mar 2000 XXSpArCoXx@aol.com wrote:

>     Ok so I have my rocco front end all apart cause I want to go over it and
> tighten everything up that may have gotten lose this winter. Now I had to
> tighten my hood lifts. To do so I had to remove this big black plastic thing
> in the passanger side wheel well. All I know about it is its L shaped its
> empty and it hase a hose going to the driver side wheel wells charcoal
> canister, and the exiting line goes off somewhere under the car.
>
> Now my question is this huge L shaped thing one of VW's over kills?
>
> Can I remove it and connect the lines to eachother, Kinda cutting out the
> middle man
>
> It would make getting to my fender lights easier. thats the only reason I
> want to know if it can be removed.
>
> Well thanks
> ~Danny~
> 88 16v

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca