Weird thing in the passenger side wheel well . .?

    Ok so I have my rocco front end all apart cause I want to go over it and
tighten everything up that may have gotten lose this winter. Now I had to
tighten my hood lifts. To do so I had to remove this big black plastic thing
in the passanger side wheel well. All I know about it is its L shaped its
empty and it hase a hose going to the driver side wheel wells charcoal
canister, and the exiting line goes off somewhere under the car.

Now my question is this huge L shaped thing one of VW's over kills?

Can I remove it and connect the lines to eachother, Kinda cutting out the
middle man

It would make getting to my fender lights easier. thats the only reason I
want to know if it can be removed.

Well thanks
~Danny~
88 16v