Re: [ELECTRICAL] 16V Alternator Problem

In a message dated 3/11/00 11:08:16 AM Eastern Standard Time,
SII2L16V@aol.com writes:

<< hey, everyone the battery light on my alternator intermittently goes on.
 I've noticed it go on over 3K rpms.  I was on the freeway when it went on.
 made an exit as soon as I could but the light went away.  I popped the hood
 to check the belt if it's still intack and it is.  I get back on the freeway
 and once the car made it past 3K... same thing.  light come's back on.  I
 slowed down a bit to under 3K and it disappeared.  Well, I took a chance
 driving it home (25 mins on the freeway) and ignored the light.  I made it
 home fine.  Anything I should check for before taking it to the shop?   >>

Well, what you can expect now is (at least the way it was with me) Is that
the battery should last you about 3 days,  you will notice the a/c fan to
slow down, then radio will stop working, erroneous readings from the
instruments, and finally you will go to turn on your lights and the engine
will cut off. Of course don't wait this long or you will be no go on the side
of the road, and you wont know what road you are on and when you call AAA
they will take 2 hours because they cant find you.

It has been my experience, and what I have seen is that the Alt. in the 16v
is a high quality reliable product.  Now the voltage regulator on the other
hand is a P.O.S. 9 times out of ten this is the problem.  It is very easy to
fix.  It is a plastic looking thing located on the alternator held on by two
screws.  Remove this and look at the brushes and see if they look worn down.
Replace with new regulator and your good to go. Later

Brian 86 16v
http://hometown.aol.com/captnbr/myhomepage/auto.html