Re: [Sciroccos] Be Nice To The Newbie

WOW!! What a response.  I only get to check my e-mail once a day.  You
Scirocco guys are prolific e-mailers.  In order to reduce the # of posts
I'll try to respond to all in this one.  That way if you don't wanna
follow the thread you only have to blast it once.

>You think this list is harsh?  Try the GTI VR6 list for a while!
   I can only dream of GTI VR6s right now. <heavy sigh>  You have to
understand, I come from the VW Pickups list.  About the only time it gets
harsh there is when the Van Vuren brothers start picking on each other.
And they never get too bad. (What are they gonna do?  Insult each others
mother??)

>There used to be a guy on the list (Dave something or other I think)
that had a project '80 that he painted that color, complete with the
Kamei air dam, wonder if it's perhaps the same car?
   Yep, that's the one. Dave recently had to move and his mom (who let
him have a stall in her garage) is selling her house, so he lost his work
shop area.  I think he burned out a little on the old 'Roc as well.  He
only sold it to me because I promised to give it a good home,... and rev
it to redline every once in a while in his honor.  I may try to keep up
the website.  It's at:
http://news.vertexcomm.com/~das/

>Where in Texas are ya?
   Longview,... about 2 hours east of the outskirts of DFW metro.  The
ClubH2O-ers have a growing contingent over there,... I may have to break
down and sign up.  Finding enough time on weekends to go for the events
is hard most of the time.  Work sucks,... I just do it to support my car
habit (and my dang daughter in law school,... she better appreciate me!)

>... from Duan... I've got a pair of floormats from a Mk 1 'rocco that I
don't really need.  They're black rubber with green carpet inserts and
say "Scirocco" on them.
   Green?  What shade?  Not M&M, glow in the dark, slime green by any
chance?  Could you send me a picture?

As far as the engine mods go it sounds like this is the consensus:
-G-grind cam.
-A little judicious head milling.
-Bigger throttle body (I'm getting one from an '86 GTi,... is that a step
in the right direction?)
-4 into 2 manifold.  Looks like that's what I've got.
-2 into 1 "performance" down pipe.  (any suggestions re: brand? Remember,
I'm a tightwad!)
-2" cat back exhaust system. (more suggestions? Autotech was one brand
mentioned.  Maybe the used stuff isn't a bad idea either.)
-And this is my performance suggestion.  Synthetic Lubricants.  Always.

I think George is right about the balancing.  I built a 400ci Pontiac
(back in my corrupt youth,.. pre VW) and had it balanced.  At a stoplight
I had to look at the tach or rev it to be sure it was still running.  So
SMOOTH!  After following the motor mount thread over the last few days it
sounds like a good investment.  So, George,... where didja get yours
balanced?

Oh, TBerk, all excellent suggestions.  Front struts and bearings are new,
rear ones will be soon,... All fluids get changed when I buy a vehicle
(even the brake fluid),... Extra grounding on a VW is standard,... and
thank you for understanding why I have a jar of Vaseline in my tool box.
Most people just think I'm strange.  Rain tray?? I don' need no steenkin'
rain tray,... er, uh, that's one of the first things I'll need to find!

Thanks, y'all.
-kevin in Texas
'80 Scirocco (new project/toy)
'82 Rabbit Pick-up (gas,... also a project)
'82 Rabbit Pick-up (diesel, old faithful, 475,000 miles and still
knocking)