RE: On the road - finally!

Inspection?  What's that?  :-P

Seriously, that's one of the nice things about living in Indiana.  There are
just a few counties that sniff tailpipes, and to my knowledge, they're all
in The Region (the Chicago area).  Even there, a lot of people (including my
dad and my father-in-law) work in those counties and live in the neighboring
ones.  My wife used to drive an old beat-up Datsun 510 wagon in college, and
it burned oil and leaked (and maybe somehow even burned) ATF like crazy
(when it started slipping, it was time to add a quart of ATF - got about 50
miles to a quart).  When she would coast, the car would just erupt in a big
blue cloud, and if the windows were down, it would all come rolling into the
car.  I had a roommate in college who had an RX-7 that was the same way.
Neither one was ever pulled over for the obviously excessive emissions they
were pouring out, and there was no provision to keep them from licensing
their cars.

As far as a mechanical inspection, I guess they figure that if it's not
safe, you'll hurt yourself instead of someone else or something, because I'm
not even aware of any kind of push to get that sort of legislation on the
books.  I guess it wouldn't be a bad thing, but at the same time, I would
hate to be told that I can't drive my car when I'm a better judge of my
car's safety than some lackey doing the inspection.

Aaron
'84 Scirocco - Woo-hoo!
'70 Bug - hibernating
'87 Nissan truck - Soon to be for sale