Re: Advance / retard

juliemac@telenet.net writes:

<<When the car is at idle (1000 rpm) the timing should be at 3 deg. ATDC.
When you step on the gas and the RPM climbs, this setting increases.
Question 1- To what point does this change (+/- # degrees). >>

On my '78:  The maximum stock mechanical(centrifugal) advance is 30 degrees,
with my Drake recuved dist. it's supposed to be as high as 36 degrees.

<< Question 2- Does this number ever go below 0 degrees TDC?>>

I assume you mean before TDC.  What advance means is the spark timing moves
from 3 ATDC through 0(TDC) and is firing before TDC, up to 30(36) degrees.

<< Question 3- Would being 1/2 deg. off setting affect the performance?>>

I have not noticed begin off a 1/2 degree affecting perfomance.  However,
being anal about my car as I think some of us are, it does affect
performance, certainly mentally if not mechanically.;-)

<< Question 3- How does the RPM affect the degree position. (eg. 3500 rpm= ?
degrees) >>

The timing varies both with RPM and manifold vacuum.  The majority of the
advance is mechanical(RPM), but you could get up to 8 degrees more advance or
up to 10 degrees retard, from vacuum, depending on throttle position.  If my
dist. was stock the mechanical advance would starts about 1120 rpm, at 2000
it's about 11 deg., at 4800 it's about 25 deg. and tops out at 30 deg. around
5200.  I don't know how my Drake recurve varies except I start out with 16
BTDC at idle and go to 36 BTDC at full tilt.

HTH.

-Dick-
78 Scirocco
Original Owner