Ground to A/C switch

Hi all,

            I recently installed a new alternator in my ’86 16v with A/C.  My old alternator (90a) had three posts on the back.  The B+, D+, and what I now believe to be a ground that the A/C idle stabilizer switch connects to.  The new alternator (90a) has two posts and a male spade connection.  I assumed the spade connection was the same as the third post on my previous alt.  I now think not.  My car is idling at about 2000 after it’s warm.  If I disconnect the brown wire from the A/C that I’ve connected to the spade, the idle settles down.  So I need a ground.  Where are people grounding their A/C idle stabilizer switch?  Can I ground it to one of the alternator casing posts?  TIA.

-Brad

'86.5 Scirocco 16V

'76 International Scout II

'86 Yamaha Radian (RIP)