Fwd: Flywheel eats Sachs Clutch?

--part1_42.7788954.268bcbd1_boundary

Date: Tue Jun 27 14:52:15 2000
From: DavidG1952@aol.com
Subject:Flywheel eats Sachs Clutch?
To: <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>

This was totally weird...

I replaced the pressure plate, clutch and had the flywheel resurfaced thinking everything was done correctly. I soon noticed alot of chatter in 1st gear when engaging the clutch from a standing start. It got so bad I had to pull the tranny to see what the hell was going on. What I found was a badly eaten sachs clutch *on the flywheel* side. There was especially bad wear in *one* particular area too. Lots of clutch "dust"

I taked to "Rudy" the VW tranny guy here in San Jose who says it is really difficult to resurface the flywheel, and it's better replacing it rather than trying to resurface the flywheel plate.

Is this a well known phenomena?

If so, I suspect the idiots who balanced my engine and flywheel, and who also resurfaced it- botched the job!

The uneven flywheel surfaced ate the clutch?

Any ideas on this?  I called velocity and they seem to agree with these facts and findings.

TIA!!!!

David
1981 "S"

--part1_42.7788954.268bcbd1_boundary--