Re: Idle rough while engine is cold

>From: Jeffrey Lowe <scirocco16v_1986@yahoo.com>
>
>My idle has been getting rough the past couple of days
>at start-up and while engine is still cold. I know
>there are probably a few dozen things that could be
>going wrong, but what should be some of my first
>things to look at?

I would look in 2 distinct areas. Slight airleaks when engine cold, and
malfunctioning cold running stabilization system(s).

I'll start with airleaks, or more specifically, injector o-rings. When they
get old, they shrink and get hard. When cold, unmetered air can leak by, and
throw off the A/F ratio, and change idle. The ISV will try to compensate,
and the idle will fluctuate. Once they get warm, they seal and the problem
goes away.

The other thing is that CIS-basic, CIS-lambda, and CIS-E all have ways to
stabilize cold running, and when they malfunction, cold idling will be
rough. Check the coolant temp sensor and the cold start valve. A
non-functional sensor/valve or interrupted electrical flow will render the
system useless. Also the CIS-lambda/CIS-E brain has a temp sensor for the
coolant so that when cold, the system runs open loop and enriches the
mixture. Bentley describes tests for all of these systems. Take a look.

HTH, and let me know how it goes.

Jonas
85 Scirocco 2.0
78 Scirocco 1.8