Re: Hi! i'm new to the list

Welcome to the list Wing! This is a very cool place ;) Nice to see another
'rocco (MKI) owner on the list in Seattle!

>A few pointers:
>
>>1. If you dont have one already, get a Bentley manual
>for your car and read it cover to cover at least once,
>trust me it sounds strange but helps tremendously.
>(It is not 100% accurate though so you may need to
>cross reference with the list or a trusted mechanic)
>
>I have a Haynes at the momment :-)

Get a Bentley anyway. It is not a coincidence the Haynes manual shares the
same name as a popular underwear maker ;)

>>2. Slowly build a collection of good quality tools
>(some bizarre VW ones as well) like Craftsman, or if
>you recently won the lottery-Snap On.
>
>I use my dad's craftsman and proto challenger tools. Don't have any bizarre
>vw tools yet. I'm thinking about getting a fuel injector puller though.
>
>>3. Find and familiarize yourself with all your local
>wrecking yards (the pick-your-own-part ones are the
>best).
>
>Only one i know of around my area is Bry's but haven't been there.

There are 2 others as well. Campbell Nelson but they arent a pick-n-pull.
And the shop that I work at has a wrecking yard as well. It's called BugAid
(and NO that doees not mean we only have aircooled stuff).

>>4. Do all your own work on your car if you can so that
>you know it was and done right and you learn how
>things work.
>
>Yup! So far i have done everything myself. Except the Suspension, when i
>got
>the car that was the only thing i didn't put on it. Boy is the stiff.
>
>>5. If you must have your car worked on by someone
>else, try to troubleshoot it yourself, know aprox.
>what is wrong, and always ask for the old part so you
>don't end up paying $1000's for a $20 fix.
>
>The only time i would have anyone worked on it is if i get into an accident
>and have them do it. otherwise.. no way. I don't feel like forking out
>lot's
>of money to fix a simple problem
>
>>6. Scirocco's (and VW cars in general) require
>patience and upkeep. If you get frustrated just put
>down the tools, go watch a movie, have a er.... soda,
>and attack the problem later with a new perspective.
>
>Will do! I've had those times
>
>>7. Most importantly don't hesitate to ask the list for
>information or advice 8)

This is a very important thing. If you are getting ready to do a repair that
you havent done before it is always good to ask the list before you start
cause sometimes there are shortcuts to make things go quicker and easier.

Chris DeLong
ICQ#45030867
Seattle, WA USA
'80 16V Rag