Re: Hi! i'm new to the list

Hi Wing,
I too have a MK1 but mine is a 81.
One thing that you should do to your car is
clean it. Don't just take it to a car wash,
clean every part of the car. Run 92 gas
(Chevron) and replace all the filters when you can.
Clean all the electrical contacts. VWs don't like dirt.
Don't break any wires when you clean them!
When you clean the car you will find things that
need to be replaced. Make notes and start a list.
When you find the parts for good prices just get them.
Then you will slowly build your car in to a great car.

One more piece of advice is,
"Decide what your car is going to be."
How long do you intend to keep it? Is it a show car?
is it a race car? Is it a car to get you to school and back?
Is it a classic? Each of the categories will yield different
results. If you put a great 2.0 motor in the car and then
it is not legal to race you may be disappointed later.
If you make a show car and drive it to school and it is
damaged or stolen you will be upset too. It is important
to know what the goal is so as you replace parts
you will know if it is temporary or not. You can take
steps toward your goal. People ask the list
to help them solve problems but if the owner of the problem
car has no clear goal for the car
the advice that he gets is not necessarily the best advice.

As an example:
If your AC went dead and you were building a race car
you would want to remove the feature and not fix it.
If you know that the AC is temporary you need to prepare for the change.
You should start looking for a water pump pulley and
alternator brackets from a non AC car. You may want
the stock non AC heater box and then the dash would need come out
so you can replace the defrost ducts. If you found a new
dash with out cracks you would want to prepare the dash
for the non AC conversion before you install the dash.
If you were building a show car you would polish up or paint
all your parts as you did the change. You may even put in a
new stereo (ICE) system in the non AC dash and custom
mold in some speakers or a navigation system in the dash.
If your car is a driver you may want the AC and then
you want to have some R12 on hand and get a system
form a list member that is removing his.
You see how it works? Good luck.

Doug
87 16v silver Scirocco "GTX"
81 8v red Scirocco "S"