RE: [CLUBVAC] 84 gti head

They are not the same. The 1985 and up cylinder heads have hydraulic lifters and corresponding cams. You could convert your Rabbit GTi motor but I wouldn't bother. Doing a conversion requires changing the oil pump and cams. I forget if theres anything else.
Scott F. Williams
Account Representative
GENUiTY
599 Lexington Avenue