Re: GTI vs Rocco Parts.

On Fri, 23 Jun 2000, Scott Williams wrote:

> drew wrote:
>
> > However, the 2H, 4K and 7A boxes ALL use a 3.94 final drive.
>
> This is NOT true. 4K uses a 3.89:1 ring and pinion and the 2H is
> 3.94:1. I own and rally on 4K and 2H. They're different. Another

Well, perhaps it's not true for YOUR 4K.  The fifth gear ratio on the 2h
is .91, and .89 on the 4K, however while the crown and pinions are
different between the two gearboxes, the final drive ratios both roll out
to 3.94.  The tooth ratio on the 2H is 63/16 (3.9375,) and 67/17 (3.9411)
on the 4K.  If you want to nitpick, the 4K actually has a shorter final
drive than the 2H does.... :) The 4K and 7A share the same c&p, and I can
assure you that the 7A's final drive is NOT 3.89 either...

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I have no shortage of 4K boxes, and I
pull them out of the cars I drive because the final drive (the same ratio
as the A2 diesel final drive) is better suited to pulling stumps than
highway driving.  Your mileage may vary, but mine is pretty much
consistent (43mpg imperial, 36mpg US)

Drew

> > As I understand it, the primary difference between the 2H and 4K
> > boxes is that the transmission case on the later boxes is compatible with
> > the A2 trasnmission case - ie. you can bolt up an A2 rear mount.  In
> > addition, the 2H has a slightly shorter fifth gear, .91 vs .89 in the 4K.
>
> -quite true. A factor to consider also is that the 2H boxes will not accept the
> Velocity-type kits that shim the factory minislip differentials. Oh well, I guess
> you'd better by the Quaife!
> --
> Scott F. Williams
> NJ Scirocco nut
> SCCA ProRally driver
> Hotrod Rabbit GTi
>
> Check out our rally team's website!
> http://www.usrallyteam.com

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca