Re: GTI vs Rocco Parts.

On Thu, 22 Jun 2000 21:31:32 -0400 "Julie Macfarlane"
<juliemac@telenet.net> writes:
> I have been thinking... (frightening I know...)
> 1)What is the difference between a standard Rocco tranny and a
> "Close" tranny in a GTI. Is it worth the swap?
The '83 GTI came with a 2H, which has a 3.94:1 final gear ratio, along
with the close ratio gears.
It would be great for around town, but if you do a lot of highway
driving, you'll miss your FF.
The FF that your Scirocco came with, is great if you with more power,
1.8L, or 2.0L.

> 2)If it is blowing white smoke, could the head gasket (already
> asked) be Ok, but the block cracked?
I'd suspect the head gasket and/or the head first.

> 3) will the gear shifter parts fit my car. Namely the main selector
> shaft?
> ($157.00 from the dealer)
I'm not sure, but all the linkage parts will fit.

> I am going to assume that the seats will fit.
The seats won't fit, unless you are 4 feet tall.
Plus they'll have a lot of slop on the center rail.

> What other parts could I use to renovate my car?
The A arms are already drilled for an anti-swaybar.
Front and rear anti-swaybars, and the brackets.
The air flow meter is 80 mm...

> Thats enough for now...
>
> Julie
> '81 Scirocco
> '85 Jetta
> '83 Rabid GTI (soon)

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'83 GTI
'84 Scirocco, '80 Scirocco, '88 Scirocco 16V