Re: Self djusting clutch cable

This sling device you describe is what you use to compress the cable into
its storage position.  If you look at the cable's self adjusting mechanism
(it's at the end of the cable housing closest to the transmission, and has
a rubber bellows on it), you'll see two little "tabs" or "nibs" sticking
out on eiether side of the housing.  The circles in the end of the "sling"
snap over top of these tabs to keep the cable compressed.  Simply slide
the sling down the cable to the top of the self-adjuster housing and
compress the housing's bellows.  When the self-adjuster spring is fully
compressed, you will be able to engage the ends of the strap on the little
tabs.

Hope this helps,

Drew
84 Wolfsburg on the road, 84 off
92 Golf GTD work in progress
99 A3 Jetta TDI toddler mover

On Thu, 21 Dec 2000, Britt Grannis wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm just starting to swap the 9A tranny in my daughters 90 GTI 8V (sorry for
> the non roc post) and don't know how to store the darn clutch cable. I see a
> rubber strap with a sort of sling on it that's attached to the cable up near
> the firewall is this what I hook the end of the cable to? Do I try and keep
> tension on the cable or compressit while I have the tranny out? I'm swapping
> in a 2H in from my 83 GTI any helpful suggestions? I think I need to swap
> the 90mm flanges on the 2H with the 100mm flanges on the 9A?? I'm hoping
> that the shift linkages are the same.
> Anyone with a 16V Scirocco in NorCal want to sell or trade for a 68 Double
> Cab ( rocc content)?
> TIA Britt

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca