Self djusting clutch cable

Hi all,
I'm just starting to swap the 9A tranny in my daughters 90 GTI 8V (sorry for
the non roc post) and don't know how to store the darn clutch cable. I see a
rubber strap with a sort of sling on it that's attached to the cable up near
the firewall is this what I hook the end of the cable to? Do I try and keep
tension on the cable or compressit while I have the tranny out? I'm swapping
in a 2H in from my 83 GTI any helpful suggestions? I think I need to swap
the 90mm flanges on the 2H with the 100mm flanges on the 9A?? I'm hoping
that the shift linkages are the same.
Anyone with a 16V Scirocco in NorCal want to sell or trade for a 68 Double
Cab ( rocc content)?
TIA Britt