Re: Rear Axle Beam!

On Wed, 21 Jun 2000 14:36:02 -0300 "Sal Guzzo" <pellom@yorku.ca> writes:
> The thing is Craig, the car is at the shop and I just got a hold of a
> sandblaster; hence, sandblast the shit out of the rear able I
> already have sitting in the garage (the one on the rocco  is so flippin
rusted
> anyhow), and install the brakes on the rear axle. Once I get the car
back,
> BANG!, in 30 minutes I have a rear disk conversion.
>
> Sal
> 81 Scirocco S (16V to be)
> 81 Scirocco (motorless and directionless)
> 84 Rabbit (now Gti)
> 84 Scirocco Wolfsburg

If the axle is rusted, there is a good chance that the steel brakelines
are rusted and corroded as well.

I just did the rear disc axle swap on my '83 GTI, and both steel lines on
the GTI rear were rusted and had to be sacrificed,
oh well they were on the original "rear" anyway.
On top of that I had a hell of a time getting the threaded brake line
ends out of the rear brake hoses.

Then there is the proportioning valve dilemma...
On my rip '81 Scirocco, I installed a 16V Scirocco brakes and I used the
almost new ATE M/cyl with the '81 P block,
which gave me great rear brake bias.
When I did the '83 GTI rear disc swap, with stock 9.4" fronts and the
rear brakes will lock up if I stomp on the brakes.
I'm going to install 16V Scirocco P valves, to take care of that problem.

Btw, I used the "rear" that originally came from my rip 16V '87 Scirocco,
then I sold it to the PO owner of my '84. 8^)

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'83 GTI
'84 Scirocco, '80 Scirocco, '88 Scirocco 16V