Re: A/C questions.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gary Huff" <scirocco86@home.com>

Subject: Re: A/C questions.
Ok, I just went out and sprung for a gauge figuring I better do this
right.. hmm.. anyways, I'm only getting 50 psi at the lowside and 50 psi
at the high side by the condenser.... what gives?

   Did you get a gauge set for R12 or for 134a? There's a big difference and
they don't work interchangeably due to different fittings and refrigerant
ratings. The filter/drier on my car is located under the washer fluid
reservoir in the low side or suction line. It's pretty easy to change out.
Evacuating the system is done with a vacuum pump accessing the system
through the gauges. This not only checks for leaks, it also removes any
moisture from the system which can deteriorate the refrigerant. You the need
to change the oil in the system. I think there are some ester based oil
replacements that don't require the old oil to actually be removed. While
there's a vacuum on the system, you then charge with the new refrigerant
through the center hose that was used to pull the vac. The amount used
depends on your vehicle's system capacity. If it sounds a lot more
complicated than just dumping in a can of refrigerant, it is. It can also be
pretty dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. What you may want to
do is change out everything you can yourself: o-rings(they're @ every
connection in the system, use only refrigerant approved ones), filter/drier
(should be able to get for <$40) and port fittings(avail. @ most auto parts
places) Then have a knowledgeable mechanic actually do the evac./charging of
your system.
   Gerry