Re: power steering leak/ rack removal

At 01:19 PM 06/20/2000 -0700, Anthony Pelletier wrote:
>Speaking of all this fun with steering racks I have a
>new one at my house that I need to install.  Anyone
>have any life saving tips?

Yes, a big one.  Pull the motor!  It would be so much easier to get at then.

  I have done a manual one
>before is a power one much more difficuld.  the wosrt
>part about the other one was where it met the splines
>form the steering column.  Ohter than that it was
>pretty simple.  I assume you drain the pump before you
>begin.  Also bently says to use Dextron-Mercron III
>this is ATF right?
Yes, no need to give the dealer any money on this one.
And for anyone else out there considering this conversion:  If you have the
motor out and put in the steering rack, but leave the lines off till later
so you don't damage them- DON'T!!! I t was the biggest pain in the ass to
get the line that goes in behind the rack on.  No room to get hand or
normal tools.  It took about 15 minutes with a stubby open end wrench to
get that thing in there.

John