16V Driveability, HVAC blower Q

I have made more progress sorting the remaining driveability issues on my
car.

It had been  hard to restart (warm), idled chuggily until I put a foot into
it, and hesitated off idle making it a pain to start smoothly from a stop.

I replaced the entire fuel system from tank to injectors, which helped, then
yesterday I corrected the Air Flow Meter (Valve? - the 80mm disk above the
air filter...) static position, and re-timed the ignition and checked the
mixture. This made a huge impact, fixing the hard starts and hesitation, but
it still runs rough until I blip the throttle over 3k or so, and it's still
weak off idle although at least it does rev smoothly now without the
hesitation it had previously.

I ohmed the cap, rotor and wires, they are all in spec, the coil tests out
OK, the O2 sensor is new, as are the spark plugs(NGK). I have been around
the motor several times with a can of ether looking for vacuum leaks, can't
find any. I'm not sure about the knock sensor, what happens when they go
bad?

I found that the mixture still was correct, even after adjusting (raising)
the air flow meter -- this sounds wrong to me, I would think I would need to
lean it out, no?

Also, there is not another 16V local to compare to, but I still can't start
away from a stop without some throttle tip-in. Is this normal for a 16V, or
do I have some tweaking yet to do? All my 8Vs are like that, just let off
the clutch and away they go. My wife really hates the way this thing drives,
for that reason, and is putting pressure on to sell it and get a h*nda...I
won't sell it but we may end up with a Prelude if I can't sort this any
further.

Unrelated, recently the 4th (highest) speed on the interior blower stopped
working although the lower three are OK. I haven't looked in Bentley yet,
can anybody save me some research time and tell me what to buy/repair?

TIA,

tiAn
87 Scirocco 16V
stuff...